BSL Energy Champion – Cardiff Deaf Centre
Job Title: Energy Advice Champion
Location: Cardiff Deaf Centre
Level/Salary Range: £27,300pa pro rata (£16,380pa for 21 hours per week)
More Info: email@example.com
Cardiff Deaf Centre will be relaunched as ‘Deaf Hub (Wales)’ on 31 March 2020. Our vision is to provide a home in Wales for all that embraces equality, the arts, heritage and Deaf culture. A place where D/deaf can meet with friends, family, colleagues, professionals. We will be one of the leading organisations in South Wales that strives for a more equal Wales.
The Deaf Hub (Wales) is looking for an Energy Advice Champion to deliver an energy awareness and advice initiative called ‘Deaf Energy Awareness for the Future’, that is, ‘DEAF’. The purpose of the role is to assist Deaf people to be more energy aware, energy efficient and able to manage their energy consumption efficiently and sustainably ensuring that health and wellbeing is the focus for all.
The role will involve working with householders, young people and all Deaf people in Cardiff and the surrounding area. The project will focus on the following three key areas:
- Energy – Help local people reduce energy wasted in their homes by encouraging behaviour change and enabling adoption of suitable insulation measures or other energy efficiency measures.
- Education – Increase understanding of, energy efficiency, energy management and energy awareness to encourage self-advocacy when considering how best to use energy in the home to maintain health and wellbeing of the family.
- Support – Offering advice and guidance at organised events or 121 home visits, to provide face to face support in BSL, to ensure that the knowledge and information is received in the preferred language of the Deaf person.
The role will be supported by the Deaf Hub Manager and Project Manager, along with a team of Energy Advice Volunteers and project partners to deliver the principal activities for the duration of the project.
Please complete the Job Application Form and write a covering letter demonstrating how your skills and experience meet the person specification below, and email these to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We accept applications in either BSL, English or Welsh.
The deadline for applications is 26 February 2020. Interviews will be held on 2 March 2020 at Cardiff Deaf Centre.
Key duties and responsibilities
Whilst the Energy Advice Champion will be required ensure the successful delivery of the project by completion of all core project activities, the principal duties are:
- Undertake planned Home Energy Support Visits
- Create a selection of BSL Energy Advice Videos
- Attend and support eight community events, such as village Gala Days, awareness raising events and community gatherings as required.
- Host 20 events for the Deaf Community providing information and advice
- Deal with ad hoc enquiries from drop in visits or activity regarding the project, while undertaking core project activities and associated administration.
- Maintain records of contact and detailed data to measure impact of activities.
- Contribute to website updates and other on and offline promotional communications.
- Assist with youth activities and the wider community to deliver awareness and education
- Liaise with partner agencies to respond to enquiries and appointments.
- Liaise regularly with the Project Manager.
- Maintain a diary and timesheets.
- At all times be enthusiastic and encouraging about the value and benefit of making behaviour and structural changes to reduce the amount of energy consumption from day to day activities, particularly within the home.
- Other associated project duties as and when required.
The successful candidate will be expected to pass each module of the City & Guilds Home Energy Awareness Training Course delivered by National Energy Action as part of the project programme prior to project delivery.
- British Sign Language (native user or Level 3 or above)
- Domestic Energy Assessment Qualification
- Degree in a related subject (energy, engineering, environmental)
Willingness to undertake and successfully complete Domestic Energy Assessment Qualification
- Developing and working with databases and/or Excel spreadsheets
- Knowledge of energy and energy efficiency
- Relationship building
- Passing on information/teaching
- Working to tight deadlines
- Self-motivated, working on own initiative
- Experience working with individuals on a one to one basis
- Experience working with community groups / voluntary organisations
- Can work with minimum supervision
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good project management/organisational skills
- Able to work at pace in a constant changing environment
- Able to take the initiative and develop new ideas.
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Passionate about empowering Deaf people.
- Good written English skills
- Ability to communicate to people from different socio-economic backgrounds
- Experience in motivating individuals to change their behaviours
- Good understanding of how energy is consumed in the home
- Good understanding of how to reduce domestic energy consumption using technology and behaviour change
- Understanding of domestic construction
- At least intermediate working knowledge of MS Excel and Word
- Awareness of the behavioural enablers and barriers affecting domestic energy use by householders
- Good standard of report writing, information collation for report development
- Genuine passion for supporting the Deaf community
- Flexible working approach / adaptable
- Self-motivated and tenacious, able to motivate others
- Consistent and thorough approach to work with an eye for detail.
- Self-starter / work with minimum amount of supervision
- Seeks feedback and constructive criticism
- Takes responsibility for oneself
- Possess a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Takes pride in a job well done
- Able to deal with vulnerable members of the community
- Confidence and ability to clearly articulate information
- A ’people’ person
- Willing to undertake weekend and evening work
- Wiling to go through DBS Criminal Records process
- Personal commitment to the principles of energy efficiency living
- Familiar with local area and South Wales
- Experience of project work
- Access to mobile phone, laptop/computer, and car
- Available to commence work immediately
- Strong interest in personal development and willing to undergo further training