The British Deaf News (BDN) is not responsible for the content of all external job, service and product advertisements.
However we recommend the following minimum criteria when advertising for staff to work directly with Deaf people:
- For Teachers of the Deaf in schools, a minimum of BSL Level 3;
- For Communication Support Workers, preferably BSL Level 6 or alternatively BSL Level 3 with a proven commitment from the employer to train up to BSL Level 6;
- For Teaching Assistants or Learning Support Assistants, preferably BSL Level 6 or alternatively BSL Level 3 with a proven commitment from the employer to train up to BSL Level 6;
- For other jobs working directly with Deaf people, it is recommended a minimum of BSL Level 3 qualification is required.
Advertisements, without the above criteria for jobs that do not involve or engage directly with Deaf people, may be accepted.
FOR SERVICES AND PRODUCTS
Advertisements, which do not support the aim and objectives of the UK Deaf community, may not be accepted.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DEAF COMMUNITY
British Deaf News supports the aim and objectives of the UK Deaf community, with the ultimate objective of:
- Participation and contribution by Deaf people as equal and valued citizens in wider society; and
- Respect for the language, culture and diversity of Deaf people.
This will be achieved by:
- Improving the quality of life by empowering Deaf individuals and groups;
- Enhancing freedom, equality and diversity;
- Promotion and maintenance of BSL (British Sign Language).
Approved date: 30/11/2016
Next Review: 30/11/2017