Deaf Mentor – Mower’s Ark CIC
Accountable to: Board of Directors, Manager
Working hours: Sessional
Salary: £25 per hour for 4 hours per week
Employment Status: This is a sessional role. The Deaf Mentor is offered a Sessional Worker Agreement and the role is eligible for benefits including Annual Leave and access to the Company Pension Scheme.
Mower’s Ark CIC is a specialist Day Service in Northamptonshire for young people with Learning Disabilities, Autism and Sensory Impairments.
Mower’s Ark vision is a society where people with learning disabilities and sensory impairments are valuable members of the community. We aim to make this happen by providing person-centered, enriching and motivating work experiences that serve the local community and share the love of God.
This role supports our vision and purpose by enabling better communication between Deaf and hearing people. We expect that the post holder will also work to the highest possible standards, valuing quality in their work.
Mower’s Ark CIC is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Therefore, this role is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
In this role you will work on a 1:1 basis with a young man who has Multi-Sensory Impairment and is a profoundly Deaf British Sign Language user. This may be at Mower’s Ark CIC premises or, to support the customer in the most flexible and person-centred way we can, you may be asked to work in the community or at different locations of the customer’s choosing.
A Deaf Mentor is a Native Deaf person who is fluent in British Sign Language and works with the Customer to provide services that support the Customer’s progress with communication and increase his confidence in different settings.
A Deaf mentor is a positive Deaf role model who can use a variety of communication methods that are Deaf-Centred. A Deaf mentor gives the opportunity to develop a young Deaf man’s understanding about his Deaf identity, Deaf culture and to learn how to overcome everyday barriers and respond appropriately.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet with the Customer weekly.
- Teach signed vocabulary and engage the customer in signed communication, supporting his British Sign Language development.
- Provide support and guidance in a safe, non-judgmental manner to enable the Customer to make appropriate decisions, creating new opportunities and supporting him out of his
comfort zone safely.
- Model the appropriate use of sign language and visual cues when interacting.
- Provide strategies for communication.
- Share about Deaf Culture and the general experiences that Deaf people have.
- Introduce the customer to activities and events in the Deaf community.
- Support the customer to gain confidence in accessing the community, providing a Deaf
person’s experiences and perspective and strategies for greater independence.
- To support the customer to focus on and support his own development, increase
confidence, motivation, aspirations, and self-esteem.
- Work with the Centre Manager, Customer, and family to meet the Customers’ Person-
- Act in the best interests of the young Deaf person always, to encourage, motivate, highlight opportunities alongside potential problems.
- Attend meetings and collectively share knowledge and experience.
- Behave in a professional, caring, compassionate and inspirational manner at all times.
- Ensure Mower’s Ark provide a High Quality, Person-Centred, Inspirational Service. This
- Keeping all records of your work up to date and accurate;
- Completing Mower’s Ark induction and skills development programme and attending
courses arranged by your manager. Taking part in your own supervision. Attending and
contributing to meetings;
- Behaving respectfully all the time to the people you support, their families/friends, your
colleagues, and neighbours and members of the public;
- Helping new colleagues to get to know the people they are supporting and how to work
in the service;
- Being Honest about your own areas for development, to own up to mistakes and be self-reflective in your practice;
- Take into account people’s age, gender, ethnic origin, religious/cultural background,
abilities/disabilities, and personal needs;
- Keeping up to date with Mower’s Ark CQS policies and practices and following these at
- Keeping a safe, healthy and supportive environment for the people you support, yourself,
your colleagues, and anyone else coming into contact with Mower’s Ark CIC.
You may also be expected to carry out other duties that are in line with the nature and grade of the role.
For a full job description, please go to: mowersarkcic.co.uk/current-vacancies