Tenant Support worker -Taff
Role: Tenant Support worker
Responsible to: Team Manager
Team: The Lighthouse Project – Newport
To Apply: www.taffhousing.co.uk/vacancy
Taff is responsible for over 1,500 homes across Cardiff and we provide support services to people across four local authorities in South East Wales.
We develop and deliver reliable services. Building and maintaining quality homes, working with local communities and building long-term partnerships.
As we continue to grow, we’ll continue to use our position of influence to create positive change.
We are looking for a Support Worker to join our floating support team in Newport.
The purpose of the role is to support our service users who have a wide range of needs, to live independently in the community and maintain their tenancies. You will need to be skilled in using British Sign Language at Level 3 or above to communicate with the Deaf community.
If you have experience of providing tenancy related support, have a passion for helping vulnerable people or have worked in a similar role then we would like to hear from you.
What you’ll do…
To be a great support worker in Taff’s Support Services department, ensuring that the needs of the service user are met within the specifics of the project. You will be passionate about the difference quality housing related support can make to people’s lives.
What you will be responsible for?
- Offering culturally appropriate support and guidance on tenancy related issues, welfare benefits and budgeting
- Providing great quality floating support to service users empowering them to work towards independent living and integration into the wider community.
- Keeping accurate risk assessments, support plans and case notes
- Ensure safeguarding requirements are met
- Supporting the team manager in contributing to the project data collection
- Taking an active part in supervision and team meetings, focussing on operational issues, case work and own development and training needs.
- Work within our ‘deeds not words’ equality pledge
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Ability to communicate using British Sign Language at Level 3 or above
- Excellent Knowledge/ability to work with vulnerable people
- Knowledge/understanding of housing related support
- Knowledge/understanding of landlord and tenant issues.
- Excellent numeracy and literacy skills
- Ability to undertake assessments and develop support plans with service users.
- Ability to work with colleagues to achieve a shared vision
- Understand the legal, ethical and strategic reasons for supporting workplace diversity
- Ability to drive and access to your own transport
- Access to the internet for home working purposes.
- An awareness of other cultures and knowledge of the communities of South East Wales
- Support or care work in a housing, social work, probation or care field providing support to one or more of the following groups: people (various ages) with mental health issues, learning/physical disabilities, BAME Substance misuse, dual diagnosis, ex- offenders or people who require support to maintain their tenancy.
We’d also need you to be
- Digitally savvy, able to use Taff’s latest technology/kit
- Comfortable to work in an agile environment, with a focus on ‘getting the job done’
- Actively anti-racist and tackle all types of discrimination, not just for our customers, but for our colleagues too, welcoming and celebrating difference.
- Possess a positive ‘can do’ attitude and actively contribute to creating an awesome Taff culture
We ask all Taff employees to…
- Keep up to date with changes in systems, policies, procedures and working practices
- Take ownership for your personal safety and that of those around you
- Take the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge
- Contribute to a happy and positive workplace
*This job description is indicative of the range of current duties and responsibilities for the post. It is not comprehensive. This post is expected to develop over time with the skills and knowledge of the post holder and it is essential therefore, that it is regarded with a degree of flexibility, so that changing needs and circumstances can be met. All changes will be discussed with the post holder.
Conditions of Service
Annual Salary: £21,163
Contract type: Permanent
Working Week: 35 hours a week, normally Monday – Friday
Flexible working in accordance with our Work life Balance Policy. Should business needs change, you may be expected to work at our other sites.
Location: We all work in an agile way and this role can be delivered as part of a blended approach requiring some location working at our Newport Office
Colleague Benefits: 25 days (extra 1 day leave after 5 &10 years’ service – total of 27 days) plus 4 extra concessionary days and 8 bank holidays. Access to our Defined Contribution SHPS Pension scheme with a maximum contribution of up to 9.25%.
Access to Simplyhealth cash plan covering things such as optical, dental, chiropractic treatment and more. You have access to Personal Health Insurance through Canada Life, which includes the world-renowned specialists, Best Doctors. ‘WeCare’ service is available through Canada Life for both employees and their household, allowing you to request GP consultations, specialist counselling, one to one nutritionist support, get fit programmes and access to legal and financial support from experts. LifeWorks provides an award-winning Employee Assistance Programme.
Criminal Records: Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will be necessary for the successful applicant, and appointment will not be confirmed before a satisfactory disclosure is received.
References: Two satisfactory professional references covering the last 3 years; including one from your current employer. (Family members cannot provide references)
Business Mileage: You may at times be required to use your own motor vehicle for use on official journeys. Your mileage expenses will be reimbursed based on the locally agreed rate. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have appropriate Business Insurance to undertake your duties.
Probationary Period: 6 months.
To apply for this post and to view all our current vacancies please visit www.taffhousing.co.uk/vacancy.
Closing date: Tuesday 26th October 2021 at 9am
Interview date: TBC